Paul,

We are currently using System 21 in the US and Australia. We have one AS/400
and are running a VPN between sites, thus eliminating the extra cost of a
2nd AS/400 and the monthly dedicated communication line. I have also
installed System 21 access in our Chilean operation, also on the same 400
over a VPN.

When we set up our Australian company 3 years ago, we were unaware of the
issues you mention below, and simply created a second company code into our
main databases. This has caused problems with system availability and
maintenance, since Australia is 17 hours ahead of us.

Were we do it again, I would suggest separate environments (or worlds) to
avoid these issues. Just be sure you have enough space and processing power
on your 400.

At present, the biggest issue for us in implementing System 21 in Chile is
the language. Since English is spoken in the US and Australia, there wasn't
a language issue when we implemented down under. However, with the majority
of our employees in Chile unable to read English, we have to look at
developing other options.

Hope this helps. If you want more information, contact me directly.

Stuart Sandler
Director of Information Systems
Krebs Engineers
ssandler@krebs.com