AS always it does,
Thanks Jeff
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff_Klipa/Harvard@harvardind.com
[mailto:Jeff_Klipa/Harvard@harvardind.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 10:14 AM
To: jbausers-l@midrange.com
Subject: JBA MLRe: Item Deletion

The INP35F file along with the INP34 file - are left populated... :
File.....:        OSLD1F3/INP34
File Text:    Sales Analysis Deleted Item File.

I can see how Sales Analysis might need to keep a residual remnant of the
deleted Item for its own purposes...  I'm not exactly sure how this file is
used
by Sales Analysis, if at all...

While there are other problems with the Item Deletion routines these two
files
are left populated on purpose (at least that's my belief...)

I'm not sure, but it's possible, that there may be negative complications if
you
reactivate a deleted Item and I believe this was their way of letting you
know
that you're about to reuse a deleted Item...  All you have to do is clear
the
records from INP35F and INP34 and you're good to go...

It's up to each company to decide if they want to reuse a deleted Item # and
it's good to know when you're about to do it...  (IMHO)

We have just spent several man-hours writing bolt-on validation and deletion
routines for the vanilla Item Deletion...  It was necessary for us since we
have
written modules to create duplicate routes for our Frozen Standards strategy
in
which we can allow the plant managers to make changes to routes during the
fiscal year while maintaining the integrity of our Frozen Standards and
keeping
track of the cost changes in a Variance Account...  In order to do this we
had
to protect the production routes from direct user changes on the screen...
Instead they are allowed to make changes to the "C" routes...

We have an automated job that will install route changes from non-production
"C"
routes each night provided they meet certain criteria for costing, and
effectivity date, etc...  As part of the item deletion we needed to go into
the
Manufacturing side of the package and delete records from several files
there as
well...

Since users cannot delete protected Routes or Production Details.  We
developed
a custom program to delete these protected things for them if the Item would
otherwise qualifies for deletion.   And "otherwise qualifies for deletion
means":
     No stockroom inventory
     No WIP inventory
     No production booking in the last 12 months
     No invoices in the last 12 months
     No inventory movements in the last 12 months
     No open purchase orders
     No open customer orders
     No open work orders

JBA also say they disqualify subcontracted items.  However they test SBCP35
= 1
in INP35 to determine if an item is subcontracted.  Currently there are no
items
subcontracted by this test in our database.  We know there are subcontracted
items with flags in MSP24 and records in PDP32, and PCP94.  We believe the
subcontracting information should be cleaned up when we delete items.  We
think
the subcontract information is a relatively small problem that JBA has
ignored
up to now without any major repercussions.  Therefore we will defer fixing
this
until we further refine the process.

Another transaction that the JBA  deletion process checks is customer
returns.
Looking at our environment, we find that not all plants do customer returns.
Not all returns have a value for the credit date.  For those with a credit
date
the return activity shows up in the invoicing and inventory movement files.
Such activity could disqualify an Item from deletion.  We're still
investigating
why a return would be processed without a credit date.

This effort has been significant but well worth the effort...

There are a number of shortcomings in the vanilla Item Deletion routine but
the
records left in INP35F and INP34 are not an oversight in my opinion...

Hope that helps...

Diana Larsson <dlarsson@ardencompanies.com> on 08/22/2001 09:36:39 AM

Please respond to jbausers-l@midrange.com

  To:          "'jbausers-l@midrange.com'"
               <jbausers-l@midrange.com>

  cc:          (bcc: Jeff Klipa/Harvard)

  Subject      JBA MLRE: Item Deletion
  :

Has anyone reused item numbers after using the deletion routine. I found
that the records are not deleted from the Inp35F (item extension file). Any
know fixes on the item deletion program?
Thank you,
diana