Bob and Stefan...

I knew I was going to receive replies like yours when I wrote that about
updating hundreds of PCs...
At least I hoped I would...

There are at least a couple of problems I have with loading the server with
Explorer and running it from there...

First is that if the server goes down then nobody can access our AS/400...
As it stands today once the desktop has an IP address from DHCP they can still
get to the AS/400 even if their local server is down...  As long as the router
stays up, that is...

Second, the installation instructions really leave a lot to be desired...!!!  I
looked at the instructions and I doubt I could perform the server install
without assistance...  Show me once and I can handle it from there...  I would
have a hard time justifying paying for professional services to accomplish a
Server Load of Explorer...  The normal install is dodgy enough as it is...

Further, since we're already deployed with June 1999 edition we're going to
stick with installing the package on each individual PC for now...

We've received the August 2000 edition and I was hoping to do the server install
with that but now we have to wait until we move up from V3.5.1 to V3.5.2B SP4
because there is no support for V3.5.1 in that edition of Explorer/Customizer...
At least none that I can find...

We have 10 locations scattered around the midwest and our IT staff is not as
large as it was a year ago...
I want to make sure that if we do the server install it does not make the system
less available for the users.
I'm willing to sacrifice some maintenance headaches on our part and some
flexibility on the users part to make the system availability more reliable...

I would be interested in hearing from the list to see how many are using the
Server Load option and how they like it...

Thanks.

Stefan Jansson <sjansson@fossil.com> on 08/14/2001 03:06:15 PM

Please respond to JBAUSERS-L@midrange.com