  • Subject: Re: Forecasting by item VS forecasting by family
  • From: "Greg Wieczorek" <wieczog@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 18:29:04 -0700

Forecasting by group sounds good on the surface but there are some
ramifications. At some point, time phased replenishments (MPS, MRP, DRP)
need to be generated at the SKU level. You do this by defining a 'spread
profile' (on the respective module forecast menu eg MPF, MRF, DRF) that
takes the group forecast number and applies a percentage to generate the SKU
forecast. Effectively this is a product mix. If there is not much
variability in your product mix, this is not too bad.

However, there is not a mechanism within JBA to alert a planner that the
product mix has changed to the point that action must be taken. Additionally
an operator would need to key in the new product mix. If you have a forecast
group that contains a large number of items, the task can be daunting. Of
course custom coding could be developed to address this issue.

If you are using the MPS module for replenishment of purchased items, you
can also choose to define a planning bill of material instead of the
individual spread profile percentages but the changing product mix issue
would still apply.

Hope this helps.

Greg Wieczorek
VersiFit Technologies