Sorry Arthur...  We had pitiful performance with our model 620 after
ramping up our 15 plants...
The first 5 - 10 plants were ok but once we got them all live with over 250
users the performance became unacceptable...
We upgraded to a model 720 and the difference was like night and day...

I doubt you could buy a new 7xx series now, you'll probably have to go up
to the 8xx series...

I know it is a hard pill to swallow if you haven't budgeted for it but your
users will love you for it and it will do wonders for your stress level...
Trust me, I know...

It's not the amount of RAM or DASD so much as the Processor size/speed/and
configuration...   Yes you need ample RAM and DASD but the processor is
king in this scenario...

The 720 was/is a server model where batch processing had separate resources
than interactive and things ran more efficiently...

If there is any way you can swing it in your budget I would seriously
consider the upgrade option...

Good luck...

"Arthur S. Weiner" <arthur@sgfootwear.com> on 12/19/2000 03:12:46 PM

Please respond to JBAUSERS-L@midrange.com