Art,

I felt the same way you do...  And I had to teach myself how Machine
Manager worked...  I had to because there was no-one else in the Novi
(Detroit) office who knew it or were willing to teach it to me when I
started working for JBA in early 1994...  I was overwhelmed with what I
perceived as an overly complex job scheduler...

But I also feel that way about IBM's job scheduler...  Maybe it's just my
perception or the fact that I haven't taken the time to learn IBM's
scheduler but I'm not as comfortable with it as I am with Machine Manager
(MM)...

Once I learned how MM worked and became comfortable with it I really began
to appreciate it's flexibility and power...  It can really benefit you for
running JBA Tasks in your night runs while maintaining all of the normal
security checks etc...  We even do our Inventory Month-end close for 10
plants, completely unattended, using Machine Manager.  The one thing it
cannot do that some people really like is "dependant processing"...  For
that you would need a tool like ROBOT that is slightly more
sophisticated...  (Interesting to note that ROBOT does have a "Learn Mode"
specifically designed for Machine Manager...   hmmmm...  That suggests to
me that there are a lot of people out there who use MM...)

I used to teach the System Manager class for JBA and I can tell you that
one of the most rewarding aspects of my career with JBA was teaching that
class...  I really enjoyed sharing what I knew with the customers...

Let me know if I can answer any questions you might have about Machine
Manager or anything else...

Anyone can contact me directly, either within the list if you feel it would
be valuable to others, or privately at jaklipa@harvardind.com
or by voice
248-932-8106
I'll try to help if I am able...

Good luck,

Jeff Klipa
Harvard Industries, Inc.
www.harvardind.com

"Heffner, Art" <AHeffne@PTS-TOOLS.COM> on 07/13/2000 09:28:06 AM

Please respond to JBAUSERS-L@midrange.com

  To:          "'jbauseers'" <jbausers-l@midrange.com>

  cc:          (bcc: Jeff Klipa/Harvard)

  Subject      END DAY TIMES
  :

I schedule things like reorgs through the IBM job scheduler.  In fact, I
try
to avoid using JBA's machine manager whenever possible.  I think it, like
most of JBA, is overly complicated.
JBAUSERS-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.