  • Subject: Re: Can anyone comment on the reliability of the archive utilities s in JBA?
  • From: "David Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:04:53 -0400

<snip>
> (* Not wanting to breach the rules by mentioning any names - mail me
> off-list if you want more info.  I have no connection with the company
> involved other than as a very satisfied user)
<snip>

I understand the desire not to have the list server become a spam-fest, but
this is to a certain extent defeating the purpose of this resource.  This
list is intended to help the readers address their issues.  Some people
won't contact you privately, but might benefit from your referral.

Since I am the vendor that seemed to add 'the last straw' to the camel's
back, I'd like to toss in my two cents worth.  In case anyone's wondering,
no, the snippet above is not referring to my product.

Yes, I'm a vendor, so take my opinions with a grain of salt, but please hear
me out.

The ultimate goal of this group is to help each other and find solutions to
issues.  Some of those solutions may involve commercial products.
Obviously, my preference would be to have a user respond in these
situations, but (a) many or most people tuned into these lists are readers,
not posters and (b) I don't have ten thousand customers (... yet).  There
are a bunch of good, niche products with small install bases.  They don't
have the $$$ to purchase back covers of AS/400 trade magazines.  This
doesn't make these products bad - it just makes them harder to find.

Other similar lists (including others hosted at midrange.com) have
vendor/product guidelines such as:

    -    you can post if it's directly relevant to the discussion
    -    you must identify yourself as a vendor
    -    keep it brief

Some lists even allow 'press release' type announcements, but these are
usually counter-productive as a thread soon follows about whether or not a
vendor is allowed to do press releases.

Anyway, in my (admittedly biased) opinion you should consider opening up a
little bit to input from vendors.  You might run across something that you
didn't know was available and it just might address a need you have.  Lists
with guidelines like I outlined above have obviously been very helpful to
me, but it has also helped those companies that otherwise would not have
found the product.

"Everything in moderation."

JMHO.