  • Subject: RE: Can anyone comment on the reliability of the archive utilities s in JBA?
  • From: "Allen, Stu" <sallen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:49:53 -0500

I've never thought much of the housekeeping module myself.

We use a third party tool* that
1. re-orgs physical files
2. optimises logicals (this can save a lot of space; we have over half of
the JBA logicals set to maint(*rebld)
3. optimises/compresses programs
4. compresses unused devices/menus/panels
5. clears temporary storage, unused spool members, replaced objects
6. clears output q's, jobq's and messages
7. clears old os/400 history logs, journals, problem logs
amongst other things such as scheduling and object analysis.
All with various parameters that can be set on each.  This runs
automatically once a week, and typically restores 4-5% of 120gb dasd.

Good housekeeping shouldn't be understated - it _will improve performance_
also.  For example do you really need 5 years of invoice/order lines?  Old
price lists?  Archive/purge those, and the main files are much smaller - and
therefore many functions will perform faster.

Even if you don't use third party analytical/housekeeping tools, run a
regular (weekly?) RTVDISKINF/PRTDISKINF. (GO DISKTASKS).  Identify large
files, and target those.  Also pay close attention to how those files grow
over time.  I bet that the vast majority of people on this list could not
say off hand what the top ten biggest files on their system are...

(* Not wanting to breach the rules by mentioning any names - mail me
off-list if you want more info.  I have no connection with the company
involved other than as a very satisfied user)

Regards,
Stuart

Stuart Allen
European Systems Analyst,  Fellowes