  • Subject: RE: GEAC providing Source Code - for a price...
  • From: Dan Thomas <DThomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:59:44 -0400

I've thought about this and probably one reason I haven't been more vocal on
the mail list is that my company does have rights to source code in our
contract and have received it for V3.5.2 SP3.  I'm not saying this is "the
American way", but this is business and not civil rights.

I agree that this no source code policy will significantly impair their
ability to sell new customers and that alone may do more to change their
position than some users complaining on a mail list.  I would never buy ERP
software without source code, nor would I stay on a system where it was
taken away after the fact.  My dollars would express my opinion.

We should also recognize the fact that Geac needs revenue to stay in the JBA
business and there is no way they'll do that strictly on license fees from
new sales.  I'm guessing their typical consulting fees from a new sale are
less than their competition.  I still say they need to make themselves
attractive so that people will want to use them for services.

Dan Thomas
Sr. VP Information Systems
MDI
4500 Progress Blvd.