Down inside the bowels of AOE lies the pervasive AO006. Any time you deal
with anything to do with order lines this is the program that controls and /
or does 90% of the work. This includes stock checking, allocation, etc, etc.
Any time you update a single line, all of the aforementioned checks are
repeated for every line within the order. This leads to a huge amount of
overheads but it is necessary if you allow the same product to appear on an
order more than once.

This problem was acknowledged by JBA at least 4 years ago that I know of but
no significant work has ever been done to correct the methods employed. The
major reason is that AOE was never intended for use in an environment
requiring many order lines. Say for instance you are in the hi-tech
business, then the original JBA designers anticipated that the average order
will have a max of 10 order lines. In this environment, AOE works well.
Remember that AOE raison d'etre was to be as a 'doing a deal with the
customer' type pf order entry. Hence the emphasis on margins and stock
commitment.

The same hi-tech business would probably also have a spares order entry
requirement. This may involve sales orders with several hundred order lines.
I think JBA anticipated that users would use Transciptional Order Entry for
these types of orders. That would also be my rec since you probable would
have less of a 'do a deal' requirement in the very large order environment.

The problem of course lies in the fact that once AOE is installed, all other
forms of order amendment are disabled. In my opinion the original designers
just didn't anticipate this problem.

Without doing a re - write of the basics of AOE have a look at the WA and WB
work files, avoid using order line extension files  and try where possible
to use Transcriptional Order Entry for the Order Entry.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Murph.