There may also be some other things to check ...
Look at the order entry work files which should be reorganized, they are
probably HUGE since every time you open an order it writes records.
Also you may want to consider selectively deleting records from the audit
files, since even if you change a comment, all lines and all information
gets written out to the audit files, even if you are opening it up to
"enquire" on something and don't change it.
Also, there may some very clumsy coding with indicators on "call"
statements which keep the program from dumping, but still look throughout
the entire AS/400 for an object which may not be there because not
installing certain modules.  Manufacturing comes to mind.  If performance
is key to your operation, I'd invest some time and very simple mods on
avoiding these performance issues (JBA doesn't call them bugs because the
software works, albeit slowly).
I think you will find the biggest hit comes at firing up the order, or
opening it for change.  I've seen a single user take 43% of the entire
system (only for a short amount of time, but resource contention adds up
fast at that rate.)

There are lots of ways, depending on how you use the system (Advanced
Pricing, for example) that can drag down the system, more specificity may
allow others to identify the trouble areas : )

Randy Smith

Dan Thomas <DThomas@lpw-mdi.com>@midrange.com on 02/08/2000 04:02:24 PM

Please respond to JBAUSERS-L@midrange.com

Sent by:  owner-jbausers-l@midrange.com