  • Subject: RE: Corporate Components
  • From: Dan Thomas <DThomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:15:41 -0400

Corporate Components was/is a JBA methodology for making program
modifications.  The concept is that "stubs" are put into standard programs
and all the custom code is placed in called external programs.  Changes to
screens would be done via pop-up windows with existing screens left
unchanged.  The concept was that when you received a new release, the
"uplift" would be much easier.  We purchased Corporate Components as part of
a bundle, but never used it because all of our early mods were done by third
party contractors and they were not familiar with it.  Secondly, it adds
enough work that mods will take significantly longer.  Lastly, we were not
aware of any customer that had used Corporate Components and had realized
the benefits of easier upgrades.  It was a fairly new concept when we had to
make this judgment.  From what I could tell, it was a good concept and if
there had been more commitment to it from JBA and we were making our own
mods, we would have strongly considered using it.

Dan Thomas
Sr. VP Information Systems
Medical Distribution, Inc.
4500 Progress Blvd