Phil,

John:

Your opinion is valid. There are many shops that haven't
crafted a
complete plan to access the resources on their servers.

[jte] Thanks for validating my opinion - I guess that should mean a lot
to me. <g>

I would also opine that rather than saying "There are many shops that
haven't crafted a complete plan to access the resources on their
servers", a more accurate statement would be "There are precious few
shops that have crafted a complete plan to access the resources on their
servers."

I've had a standing offer for a couple of years now for someone to
submit a detailed object level security scheme to this list, but I
haven't seen one yet.  Heck, I'd be happy (and amazed) just to see one
from an business application vendor - but haven't seen one of those
either. Maybe I'm just a bit jaded, but I am beginning to suspect that
there isn't a single shop out there that does OLS across their entire
application set the way we all want to believe it could/should be done.

I have three basic problems with LMTCPB and commands.
1) It's obsolete in that it hasn't been updated to check
commands in
newer interfaces. [limited scope]

[jte] Well, they did update FTP in V4R2 to reject commands from limited
capability users (but you already knew that, right?), but I think your
larger point on this issue still stands.

Anyway, let's talk about the Inventory Master.

By giving a user *CHANGE rights to the master file, you
give them rights
to the file in all interfaces. The user can get at the
file through
EDTF/DFU or Excel, as well as the expected application
interfaces.

I would use adopted authority for access through the
expected
application interfaces and use proxy commands to limit the
use of EDTF
or DFU to well-defined views of the data, then take away
the data rights
to the file. The object authority is still checked on the
remote server
interfaces. If you need access to the file from one or
more remote
servers, you can use exit programs to give you this
authority.

[jte] Phil, I think this just proves my earlier point, OLS is a good
starting point, but when it comes down to brass tacks, you have to
augment OLS with something like Adopted Authority or exit programs or
application controls or???, otherwise it ends up just not being granular
enough.

As someone stated earlier (was it Edwin?) there is no silver bullet to
OS/400 security.  You have to augment it with other approaches,
otherwise you'll find that it is not practical to get where you want to
go.

jte

--
John Earl | Chief Technology Officer
The PowerTech Group

This email message and any attachments are intended only for the use of
the intended recipients and may contain information that is privileged
and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
received this email message in error, please immediately notify the
sender by replying to this email message, or by telephone, and delete
the message from your email system.