From: security400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:security400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 1:04 PM
To: Security Administration on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [Security400] Commands for Limited Users

No Dave, that isn't the point.  That "was" the point.  But if you look
at John's last sentence.
<snip>
But adopted authority has a serious shortcoming that limits it's
usefulness in the file systems that the majority of new applications
would use.
</snip>

If I do a
MD DIR('/scratch')
CHGAUT OBJ('/scratch') USER(*PUBLIC) DTAAUT(*EXCLUDE) OBJAUT(*NONE)
CHGOWN OBJ('/scratch') NEWOWN(BUBBA)

A program that adopts the authority of BUBBA will still not have
authority to data in this directory.  You need to do profile switching
to get access.  See the profile handle api's at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apis/sec1.ht

An example of profile handling is if you use any netserver drives on
your i5, or if you use WDSC or any other such client server application.
Then you could do a WRKOBJLCK OBJ(MYID) OBJTYPE(*USRPRF) In there you
will find jobs that are running under one user id, but "servicing"
another.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Turnidge, Dave" <DTurnidge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: security400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
09/07/2006 01:51 PM
Please respond to
Security Administration on the AS400 / iSeries
<security400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Security Administration on the AS400 / iSeries"
<security400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [Security400] Commands for Limited Users

But, isn't that the point? In our case, all production objects are owned
by one user profile. When a user comes through a menu, they adopt that
owning profile's authority. Outside of the menu, (as in other methods of
access), they don't have authority, unless it is granted individually,
or to a group profile.