We are using BPCS security.  But as anyone knows who doesn't keep their
head buried in the sand, the days of relying on 5250 menu based security
for data protection are long past.
We're not ready for 'application only access'.  Very little data gets
downloaded, but we do use a lot of queries.

You use group profiles to secure by application:  A/P, etc.
We use group profiles to secure by company.  Too much of the applications
interface to do it here by application.  Although we are using a separate
accounting package and that has it's own group profiles, etc.

Yes, trying to figure out what authorization lists to put their
replacement in when someone leaves is a trick.  Often, instead of deleting
someone, we'll just disable them.  (And, no, that doesn't mean we use Nick
the Kneebreaker instead of Mack the Knife.)  We could then determine what
authorization lists this person is a member of and add the new person
likewise.

Trying to decide out of the hundreds of BPCS files to put in a particular
group would be a real chore.  For example, what files will the group
GRPALLAP have access to might involve a lot of trial and terror.  Although
I am beginning to understand what you are saying.  Everything in CLIDIVF
may be owned by SSA36 but GRPALLAP might have update access to AVM (the
vendor master) and a selection of other files.  Then when the person doing
that job gets replaced then some new person gets added to that group
profile.  But they would also need the supplemental group of SSA to use
the BPCS programs, etc.  And as much as I hate supplemental groups that
ain't happening.  I suppose the programs for BPCS could be *PUBLIC *USE
without the earth coming to an end.  Unless they do something stupid like
one package we used to have.  That package had a program owned by QSECOFR
that only did a CALL QUSCMDLN.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: security400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
05/27/2004 03:03 PM
Please respond to
Security Administration on the AS400 / iSeries  <security400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

security400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
RE: [Security400] Documenting / Managing iSeries security

Rob,

Ok I can see where you are coming from.  I assume you are using BPCS
security to prevent users from doing stuff they are not authorized to do.
Thus, group profiles might be of little use.  Unless the users that use
single libraries or multiple libraries are fixed.  What I mean is that a
user in a given role (AP for instance) deals with a given set of
companies.
If that user were to leave then his/her replacement would deal with the
same
set of companies.

For example, say your AP people work across all companies, you could have
GRPALLCMPYS.  Users that only access one company would be in GRPxxxxxxx
where the xxxxxx is something appropriate.

Finally if you could identify subsets of users that need access to given
subsets of company (say order entry for three companies are handled by the
same set of users) you could have other groups for those sets.  This would
be beneficial even if the subset of users is only one user.

Granted, the group profiles aren't as useful in your case since you've got
small set of authorization lists being used.  Still I think there'd be
benefits to having the group profiles on the authorization list as opposed
to individual users.  If nothing else, to add a new user you'd simply copy
an existing and the user would have appropriate authority with no extra
work
needed.

Charles