From: security400-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:security400-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 6:16 AM
To: security400@midrange.com
Subject: RE: [Security400] Authority annoyances, continued...

>ODBC, Client Access and Ops Nav.
 [allowing access to a file when UPDDTA is secured]
>On my old system I got around it simply
>not using Client Access, we didn't even have it licensed.

Wait 'til some genius opens command-line FTP, does a GET of a file with
packed data makes a change to the text of a record and then PUTs it back.
Boy is THAT fun to debug.  The point is not that there's a problem with
Client Access; it's any access other than your code.  Some possibilities
that exist on every AS/400:

File Transfer Support - QY2FTML
SQL - STRQMQRY, ODBC/JDBC, embedded in ReXX
FTP
DDM file
AS/400 Java toolkit
HTTP server/Net.Data