> Is there a reference that I can goto and ask, figuratively speaking, this
type of question?
Dan - Title: OS/400 Security - Reference V4R5 Document Number: SC41-5302-04
According to the V4R5 Security Reference
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/online/v4r5eng.htm
the strtcpifc is shipped *exclude for *public (as it should be). The cmd
only requires *use, which must be granted, or have *allobj (not so wise). I
would assume you also need *use to the objects attached to the ifc (line,
ctl,etc)
You need *iosyscfg to config the line, ctl, etc, but not to start the
interface. According to the manual, "System configuration (*IOSYSCFG)
special authority gives the user the ability to change how the system is
configured."
This does not include operational things like STRxxx and ENDxxx (none that i
can think of).
For many releases, the Security Reference manual has documented the
authorities needed to execute each command. Any changes to the authorities
is documented in the Read Me First or Release Changes notes. I did try the
Info Center for V5R1, and had the usual "pages of links that didn't answer
the search".
I know Phil suggested iosyscfg special auth, but I beleive the manual above
is correct.
sorry if this is a little wordy....
jim franz