I never intended to make such a big deal about this.

You're absolutely correct that you'll never get everyone to agree. I can't speak about the v4r2 days, back then I didn't even have internet access. As for now, I'd say that section of the Redbook does more harm than good.

That's a curious idea about submitting an alternative. I've never given much thought about how to externalize I/O. Here that would be categorized as a bunch of new-age hokum. My first thought would be to use getter/setters. Hmmm...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Paris [mailto:jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 11:14 AM
To: Rpg400 Rpg400-L <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RPG redbook

Not being funny Justin - but do you in all honesty think that it is possible to come up with an implementation that everyone would agree with? I don’t.

I also have my own issues with this part of the Redbook - but then I also did when it was first written back in the V4R2 timeframe.

The important thing to note is that at the time the book was written this was a topic that needed to be discussed. As such it had to be pitched in a way that would make sense to the target audience. The way in which it was done was a compromise - as was much of the redbook content. Could/should it have been updated beyond just changing the code to free-form ? Probably - but apparently that wasn’t practical given the time and $ constraints.

Maybe you could write up an alternative approach and submit it to IBM? The Redbook is still only in draft form.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com