On 06-Oct-2016 19:04 -0500, CRPence wrote:
On 06-Oct-2016 18:53 -0500, Buck Calabro wrote:
On 6 October 2016 at 17:31, Peter Dow wrote:
The remaining question is why when I pass a pointer from the CL, it
doesn't seem to be pointing to the correct data.

Is the RPG program being compiled with any level of OPTIMIZE() other
than *NONE?

The /problem/ noted with the compiler and/or debugger, for the inability
of EVAL to display the values, must be taken in the context of the OP;
i.e. must be understood, that this scenario is work being done on a V5R4
system. The same results are seen also on V6R1, with the given source,
using OPTIMIZE(*NONE).

Huh. That being said, I see the exact same results on v7r3. I was going to suggest that perhaps Barbara could explain why the use of EXTNAME and BASED in that context yields those results via the debugger, but from some digging, perhaps done so already. In no particular order, and I presume relevant [despite the only one mentioning msg CPF8E28 was unexplained, and the response given was actually the only way I could force the error instead of receiveing what is blatantly INCORROUT], some past topics:

[Displaying Based variables in debug]
(http://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l/201407/msg00171.html)
"I have a procedure that receives a pointer as a parameter. There's also a local data structure that is based on that pointer. When I mouse-over one of the DS fields in debug, I just get the definition. If I try to create a monitor, it gives me a CPF8E28 error. …"

[DUMP(A) shows some variables NOT ADDRESSABLE]
(http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/201601/msg00244.html)
"That issue with levels of indirection happens when there's a pointer subfield in a data structure that's either based or passed by reference, …"

[Pointer / Based issue]
(http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200605/msg00437.html)
"… the problem you are seeing is due to a limitation of the
debugger. It can't evaluate any variable that is based on a pointer
that is itself based. (A parameter passed by reference is considered
"based" on the address of the passed parameter.) …"