To: "RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Niels Liisberg <NLI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08/16/2016 06:55PM
Subject: Re: Where to post ideas for RPG

Hi Mark.

Actually all of the above.

Both returning and defining parsed parameters.

Maybe you know that it is quite easy from within C to use and query these info in the invocation stack ( if DECLSPEC is provided) however RPG i rather rigid regaring types in prototypes.

So basically what I am after is to let RPG just parse the value / or pointer to value and let the caller do the rest of the job.

In C++ it is called polymorphism ( with a twist since it would call a maching procedureinterface) but RPG will drive it far with little effort, not implementiong full polymorphism, but rather let the caller deal with the parameters....

So

dcl-pr myfunc void; // The return value has to be examined from the stack
fld1 void value; // Put the value on the stack ( what ever that is)
fld2 void; // Put the address to fld2 on the stack
end-pr;

I don't have a nice syntax for the dynamic numbers of parameters but a early gues could be:

dcl-pr myfunc;
fld1 int(10) value; // First normal strong prototype ( if any)
*ANY; // Now any numbers of parameters of any types
end-pr;

The above aproch can also be used for lasy procedure declarations, and also bring in bad coding practis. But also be efficient for conversiontools to bring in old RPGlll code into to the ILE game.