Your response was received with the good will in which you intended it. It helped focus my attention, Steve. Thank you.

The follow-on has been a struggle for me. The first IBM i SQL reference I found is a 1597 page PDF document. Probably full of useful information but entirely unusable for me at least, for look ups and searches. That started wider searches. One thing that became clear very quickly is that there are lots of ways to do most things. Most work, some don't, and some may work but lead down rabbit holes. There is a lot of dated and old information, a lot of misleading commentary, and a lot of platform and version specific choices.

It looks to me like SQL is powerful, flexible, and with a learning curve as steep as a user wishes to make it.

In the end, midrange.com is the best go-to there is. The help here is courteous, fluent, and responsive. It is appreciated.