How are you doing the inserts?

One row at a time in a loop?

That might explain why it has to resolve the name each time.

I know single row inserts are expensive, but I wouldn't expect the single
row insert using the short name to be that much faster.

Ok..just read Luis' post...interesting...though it doesn't mention long
column names, just long object names.

Charles