On 08-Dec-2015 12:49 -0600, CRPence wrote:
On 08-Dec-2015 11:51 -0600, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
<<SNIP>>

*START was, so far as I know, a pretty late addition - came out at
7.1, I believe. I don't recall anything about using a value for
this, rather, that the file is positioned "...to the beginning of
the file...", with no regard for actual values. <<SNIP>>

Been around longer than that. I retain actual code, functional on v5r3,
that uses the _special values_ on SETLL for Arrival sequence.

Perhaps telling however, is that the indicators other than the /error/
indicator are not allowed when using a _special value_ on SETLL
using fixed-format.? That would seem to suggest that, in the past
anyhow, that SETLL had no intention of ever setting the %found() [or of
course the %eof()] indicator _with either special values specified_.?

Argh! Of course I meant /special values/ [i.e. *END and *START] in the above reply, rather than the /figurative constant/ I had written. Each was corrected, inline to the quoted text, and I added an addendum to emphasize that my final comment [softened with a question mark] was applicable only to those _special values_ about which I was commenting.