%lookup is a binary search.

"...The %LOOKUPxx built-in functions use a binary search for sequenced arrays (arrays that have the ASCEND or DESCEND keyword specified). ..."

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSPSQF_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.iseries.langref.doc/evfrilsh855.htm

On 11/25/2015 3:16 PM, Alan Campin wrote:
Issue is not sort of data. Data is loaded by an SQL in key order. What I am
wanting to do is do a binary search on the data. I know it is in the right
order. A solution that I know works is to use bsearch. I was just trying to
figure out if IBM had a way to do the binary search on a lookup over a data
structure. As far as I know they don't. Just trying to see if someone has a
way to make it work.