On 4/1/2015 4:05 PM, John Yeung wrote:
numbers. What I do know is that there is a vocal segment of i
developers who say they would use RDi if it were included (or free or
subsidized by their employer). Some folks who already have paid RDi
licenses may call this segment whiners. Whatever. I think it would
be one hell of a neat experiment to see if these "whiners" are as good
as their word. IBM has the power to make this experiment happen.
They could even do it without losing any money (by increasing the
price for the compilers to compensate).

That experiment was already performed and the results were abysmal
adoption rates. I don't have the exact time frames to hand, but there
was a multi-year period when IBM bundled all the compilers and all the
development tooling into one price. If you bought a compiler you got
all the other compilers, SEU, PDM and WDSC all together.

Normally, I try to comment on the subject of RDi because there are
always new people to the platform (like you, John) who may not have had
the opportunity I had to use a real editor to edit RPG source code.

My recollection is that the complaint back in the days of free (bundled)
WDSC was that the product wasn't good enough to use. I will say this: I
myself used WDSC to work on many hundreds of thousands of lines of code,
and I vastly preferred even Code/400 to SEU.