I'm not sure you are right.
I have a db field that is UTF-16.
I put it in my hidden field. In the list of my rpgle program the hidden
field have datatype A, not C, so i think there is a conversion. The eval
operation does the conversion.

On Thu, 2015-03-05 at 23:43 +0100, Marco Benetti wrote:
Thanks for your answer.
If i set ccsid at file level my display file is created. But if i not set
ccsid attribute at field level the field will not be utf-16 but graphics
(once compiled my rpgle program, the field will have G and not C
datatype).
So that not solve my problem.
I need a utf-16 hidden field.

As the field is hidden, the CCSID is not required because no translation
is performed. What is put in the field (write) is what is taken out of
the field (read) and at no point does the "workstation" do any
conversion between what is entered/displayed "on screen" and what is
"in" the program.

If you are trying to convert something to/from utf-16 it would need to
be done another way. If the DB field is utf-16 then putting it into a
hidden field would mean it stays utf-16, at least as far as I remember.

I think the best question to ask would be "why do you need the field to
be utf-16?/have a specific CCSID?"