I'm curious as to what tools others are using for building/making ILE
applications (binding modules, service programs, etc.). I am only aware of
two freeware tools: COMPILE by Alan Campin, and BUILD by Scott Klement
(although it appears that the code for BUILD isn't available online anymore -
anyone have a copy?).

With all due respect to Alan and Scott, are there any others available? I'm
some commercial CMS packages include these features - Aldon,
Implementor, etc. - but I am a small one-developer shop, and these would be
overkill for my environment, so I'm being cheap!

Thanks

Bob Cagle
IT Manager
Lynk, Inc.

We're just two developers here. What I've done when I was the one and only, and here, is that I wrote a program to use embedded code in the source itself.

I use a marker of some kind, like here I used three percent-signs (vary to taste) to set off the embed.
Like in a "straight-up" RPGLE program, one of the lines will be:

......*%%% CRTBNDRPG &&O/&&N SRCFILE(&&L/&&F) SRCMBR(&N) DBGVIEW(*LIST) %%%

The extractor program reads the source member, extracts what's between the marker (end marker optional for fixed-column RPGLE and DDS), outputs it to a TEMPSRC member (CLLE type) in QTEMP, compiles that and then runs it.

The extractor writes out standard stuff like PGM and ENDPGM.

The double ampersand is replaced with the corresponding PDM options, like &N for the source member name. I always run it from PDM with a special user option "XX", it runs a command that feeds the PDM special values into corresponding parameters.

Simpler than it sounds, takes a little bit to set up. I don't know how it would be with compiling with RDi. We might finally get that here next few weeks. Forget about Aldon or whatnot. Main software is third party. (sigh)

Alan

Confidentiality Notice: This email may contain confidential information or information covered under the Privacy Act, 5 USC 552(a), and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (PL 104-191) and its various implementing regulations and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. It contains information that is legally privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from use or disclosure. This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.