I'm curious why you convert it to a character field? I just use date and
time fields in my print and display files--simply coding appropriate
DATFMT as necessary. When you move from one date field to another, the
internal storage of the date doesn't change (stored as a 10-digit integer
IIRC)--it simply alters how the data is presented in the print or display
file.

"RPG400-L" <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 01/06/2015 10:17:54
AM:
----- Message from Alan Cassidy <ACassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Tue, 6
Jan 2015 15:17:40 +0000 -----

"RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)"
<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

RE: Converting a date

A date is stored as a date.

I just leave them as dates until I need to display them. If I need a
*USA format, then I just convert it to a character field exactly the
way I want them. It's easier to use that way for me; it may be
different for developers who grew up with date-type variables that
have a format attribute like RPGLE does.

dcl-s wrkdate date ;
dcl-s viewdate char(10) ;

Wrkdate = '2015-01-06' ;
Showdate = %char( wrkdate : *USA ) ;