On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 4:09 PM, René A Valencourt
<RValencourt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I agree with Gary here, in the sense that being objectively specific about
what may be good (or not, depending on the context!) about something is
preferable to me, and more useful (in that I know what to do with it), than
using a subjective term such as "modern" (which leaves me thinking "so
what?").

More specific terms are certainly clearer and more actionable, but
sometimes it's nice to have a blanket term which covers a whole
package of various specific goals or actions, particularly if they are
related or concurrent and serve an overarching broader goal. The IBM
i Modernization Redbook would have a much more unwieldy name if it had
to be more specific. Also, sometimes you know the overarching goal
before you know which specific goals will contribute to that, so it's
not like you even have the more specific words available to you.