From: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Birgitta Hauser
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:46 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)'
Subject: AW: Call QUSCRTUS fails using stand alone 4B 0 d spec

It is a very common translation misunderstanding:

In the data structure the subfield needs 4Byte to hold the maximum value.
The maximum value of a 4 Byte binary value is ~2,100,000,000. If the field would have been defined with 1 ... 4I 0 the maximum value can be hold. Since it is defined with 1 ... 4B 0 it is converted into packed and for avoiding any overflow the maximum value that can be hold is 999.999.999.

If you want to translate the data structure subfield into a standalone equivalent, you either have to define it as 10I 0 (which is the better
solution) or 9B 0 (which was the old RPGIII solution).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." (Derek Bok) "What is worse than training your staff and losing them? Not training them and keeping them!"