Hi Brian

I believe that LIKEDS automatically makes the resulting DS to be qualified.

One way around it might be for the parameter be a character variable with the same overall length as the DS, then set the DS to the parameter. Kinda ugly, I admit!

Probably could have something with a pointer as the parameter - but that has implications of safe handling of parameters. But the DS could be based on the pointer parameter. Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!

HTH
Vern