On 9/2/2014 6:24 PM, mlazarus wrote:
I just ran into an SQL pre-compiler situation that seems to be a defect.

When compiling this as an RPGLE, it compiles fine. Changing it to
SQLRPGLE causes it to fail:
SQL1106 30 RPG specification out of order.

It looks like it's ignoring the defined variable and copying the code
again. This is for a client that's still on V5R2. Does this work
properly at a current compiler version?

Yes, it works fine on 7.2. The SQL preprocessor on early versions -
especially before 5.4 - were quite primitive. There is one set of
developers working on the RPG compiler and another set working on the
precompiler. There were periods when the RPG team added functionality
to their compiler but the SQL team hadn't got round to it yet. This is
one of those instances.

It seems crazy, but I think of it like this: The SQL precompiler only
needs to know enough RPG to recognise variable names. Essentially it
can ignore most of the source RPG code; stuff like edit codes and the
like. When the precompiler reads source it doesn't understand, it
/assumes/ that the RPG compiler will, so it doesn't flag it as an error,
and lets it go past. Like /DEFINE. It inserts its expanded SQL code
into the RPG source and then sends the lot off to the RPG compiler.

Here's a test program to illustrate:

H OPTION( *SrcStmt: *NoDebugIO )
H dftactgrp(*NO) actgrp(*new)
/COPY X@
d Test2 pr
C EVAL *INLR = *On
P Test2 b
d Test2 pi
P Test2 e
/COPY X@

______________
Include member X@:

/IF NOT DEFINED(TestPgmPRCopied)
/DEFINE TestPgmPRCopied
* Test prototype
D TestPgm PR ExtPgm('TESTPGM')
/ENDIF

SQLRPGLE source:
h/copy qrpglesrc,stdhspec
d/copy buck/qprotosrc,autocopy

// some calculations go here

/copy buck/qprotosrc,autocopy

*inlr = *on;

QPROTOSRC:
d/if not defined(autocopy)
d/define autocopy
d testPgm pr extpgm('TESTPGM')
d/else
callp testPgm();
d/endif

Resulting compiler listing:
1 h*copy qrpglesrc,stdhspec
2 h dftactgrp(*no) actgrp('QILE') option(*srcstmt: *nodebugio:
000200 h alwnull(*usrctl)
000300 h debug
000400 h bnddir('PROCEDURES')
000200 d*copy buck/qprotosrc,autocopy