From: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roche, Bob
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:27 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: RE: What would you do without RPG?

I can't speak for set ups using the "i" as a pure DB server, but I
would have thought that in such environments there would indeed be a
group of DBA's sweating profusely over the fact some young
whippersnapper programmer has brought production to its knees by doing
a 30 file join using a never before >>used sequence with a selection
criteria that omits half the records evenly interspersed in the master
stock file who when asked "why?" responds with the answer "well it
worked really quickly when I tested it with my local sql set up" ;-)

The answer to this goes back to Buck's response. RLA means I don't write a 30 file join. I read or chain in to each file as needed. And how would test against a local sql setup? I've never seen programmer working against db2 on their PC. I also have not worked at many different companies. Where I worked there was usually a test partition, system, library list. That you run tests against.