You must pass by reference, with or without the CONST keyword.

So it should have worked both ways.

Are you getting a different error than you did before?

Charles

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Steve Stevens <s_stevens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Charles,

Could you elaborate a bit? I tried passing by Const and without any
keyword, both methods failed. Do you know the correct method?
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles
Wilt
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 4:03 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: Problem calling ILE Stored Procedure from SQL Function

You can't pass a parm in from SQL by value

PrmCustNo 9s 0 value

Charles

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Steve Stevens <s_stevens@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I am having trouble calling an ILE stored procedure that is part of a
service program from an SQL Function.

Short story is that the results are inconsistent. Sometimes it will
correctly determine whether the customer is a store, sometimes not,
and sometimes it gives a decimal data error. The decimal data error
always occurs where the parameter is moved to the key field for the
chain. The ILE stored procedure works every time when called from
RPG. It act as if the parameter placed in a memory location that the
store procedure does not access correctly so that sometimes it pick up
the correct number and is ok and other times it either gets part of a
number or none of it. The following error message shows that the
external procedure was found and executed and failed inside the RPG
code. So this does not appear to be a signature mismatch.

Message . . . . : Application error. MCH1202 unmonitored by VALID at

statement 0000008800, instruction X'0000'.

Cause . . . . . : The application ended abnormally because an
exception

occurred and was not handled. The name of the program to which the

unhandled exception is sent is VALID VALIDE AMIASTORE. The program
was

stopped at the high-level language statement number(s) 0000008800 at
the

time the message was sent. If more than one statement number is
shown, the

program is an optimized ILE program. Optimization does not allow a
single

statement number to be determined. If *N is shown as a value, it
means the

real value was not available.

The store procedure code follows. I have removed the file spec for
lmllst01 and comments:

/title AmIAStore = Am I classified as a store?

p*********************************************************************
****

p** AmIAStore Am I classified as a store?

p AmIAStore b export

d*

d AmIAStore pi 1a

d PrmCustNo 9s 0 value

d* Field definitions . . .

d SaAnswer s 1a

d SaCat s 3a

c*********************************************************************
****

c**

c* Open table(s)

c if not %open(lmllst01)

c open(e) lmllst01

c endif

c* Build the key fields

c eval mlcst# = PrmCustNo

c eval SaCat = 'STR'

c* Check to see if in the file

c mlcst# chain (e) pmllstf1

c* What is the answer?

c select

c* Error on the chain?

c when %error

c eval SaAnswer = 'N'

c* Not found?

c when not %found(lmllst01)

c eval SaAnswer = 'N'

c* Classified as Store

c when mlclas = 'STR'

c eval SaAnswer = 'Y'

c other

c eval SaAnswer = 'N'

c endsl

p AmIAStore e

Copy member for prototypes:

d/if defined(AmIAStore)

d AmIAStore pr 1a

d CustNo 9s 0 value

d/endif

SQL Create Function:

CREATE FUNCTION spslib/AMIASTOR_F

(Customer Numeric(9,0))

RETURNS char(1)

language rpgle

deterministic

no sql

no external action

external name 'PMBASO/VALID(AMIASTORE)'

parameter style general

program type sub

Invocation:

select mlcst#,

amiastor_f(cast(mlcst# as Numeric(9,0)))

from lmllst01

This should return the customer number and a flag indicating whether
it is a store (Y or N).

--
This is the RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)

http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.