I have a very simple program I can call from a CLP that just retrieves and
returns a value based on the value passed - use example:

CALL PGM(SU22A1) PARM('FROMVERS3 ' &OLDVERS )
CALL PGM(SU22A1) PARM('OBJLIB ' &NJOBDL )
CALL PGM(SU22A1) PARM('JOBD ' &NJOBD )

I use the different variables in commands thereafter. As I step through
each step in debug, after the first call, the variable &OLDVERS has the
value I expect. After the second call, variable &NJOBDL has the value I
expect, but &OLDVERS is now blank, and after the third call, &NJOBD has the
value I expect, but &NJOBDL is blank too.

what gives? I'm guessing it's an issue with the called program reusing the
same pointer space in memory, but how can I keep this from happening short
of saving off the value before calling the next one?