I'm certainly a fan of such refactoring...

But if you want to make such refactoring a standard, I'd recommend taking a
look at tools to do so.

I'm particularly fond of Linoma's RPG Wizard
http://www.linomasoftware.com/products/rpgtoolbox/rpgwizard

Options include:
Target IBM i release . . . . . . *CURRENT
Format of specifications . . . . *FREE2
Examine field attributes . . . . *YES
Expand copy members . . . . . . *NO
Redefine data structures . . . . *YES
Redefine *LIKE DEFN fields . . . *YES
Redefine calc. defined fields . *YES
Convert left hand indicators . . *YES
Convert opcodes to BIFs . . . . *YES
Convert key lists (KLIST) . . . *YES
Insert file I/O BIFs . . . . . . *YES
Convert ADDs/SUBs to EVALs . . . *YES
Convert Z-ADDs/Z-SUBs to EVALs *YES
Convert MULTs to EVALs . . . . . *YES
Convert DIVs to EVALs . . . . . *YES
Convert MOVE(L)s having *BLANK *CLEAR
Convert MOVE(L)s having *ZERO . *CLEAR
Convert MOVEs having data . . . *EVAL
Convert MOVELs having data . . . *EVAL
Convert MOVEA operations . . . . *YES
Convert CASxx operations . . . . *YES
Convert CAT operations . . . . . *YES
Convert DOs to FORs . . . . . . *YES
Convert LOOKUP operations . . . *YES
Convert SCAN operations . . . . *YES
Convert *ENTRY PLIST . . . . . . *YES
Convert Subroutines to Procs . . *NO
Convert CALLs and CALLBs . . . . *YES
Convert GOTO operations . . . . *YES
Compress expressions . . . . . . *YES
Highlight comments . . . . . . . *NO
Fixed-form comment designator . *SLASHES
Comment specification types . . *REMOVE
Comment designator on blanks . . *LEAVE
Case for specification types . . *LOWER
Case for unchanged logic . . . . *LOWER
Case for changed and new logic *LOWER
Case for in-line comments . . . *LEAVE
Case for right-hand comments . . *LEAVE
Free-form indent nested logic . *LEAVE
Document nested logic . . . . . *NO
Source date on converted lines *KEEP

You can download it and try it for free for 10 conversions. The price is
pretty good IMO.

Arcad has another tool, but it has more functionality and is more $$$.
http://www.arcadsoftware.com/products/arcad-transformer-ibm-i-refactoring-tools/

Charles

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Wilson Jonathan <piercing_male@xxxxxxxxxxx>