We are referring to reading a file into a data structure, something like this:
D FileDs ds likerec(FileRec : *input)
CHAIN (FieldA : FieldB) File FileDs;
Sam

On 1/21/2014 7:28 PM, Booth Martin wrote:
Not sure if this is the issue, but I find I generally need 3 DSs for a
record. #1DS is the original data, populated with the first, unlocked,
read. #2DS is the new, updated data from the user workstation, and
#3DS is the data in the original record when I go back to get the record
for the update. At update time I compare #1DS and #3DS to be sure they
are still identical. If not identical, then the record has been
updated in the meantime by another workstation. If they are identical
then I need #2DS to populate the record word with the new, updated data.