Joep,

CCSID 1200 or 13488 doesn't basically give you full unicode support in RPGLE
unless you base or result is UTF-8 and you use binary iconv to convert
between
the formats.

Iconv will do correct conversion of large characters (3-4 bytes UTF-8)
into 2*2 bytes UTF-16 CCSID 1200) since it is a "calculated" conversion
that isn't based on a translation table.

In other words you can calculate the hex conversion of the full unicode span
between UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32.

The problem is that these string conversions isn't natively supported by
RPGLE
as a field type, you have to use raw storage manipulation with iconv to
achive it.

Basically UTF-8 is a one byte string that shares x'00'-x'7F' with ASCII but
it
would be nice just to be able to move ingoing or outgoing UTF-8 directly
to/from
a field type without conversions.

UTF-8 can be converted to SBCS EBCDIC in two ways, on a "normal" iconv
CCSID 1208>37 that only will support the 256 characters in the SBCS EBCDIC
CCSID or on byte level.

At the moment I'm working on a replacement of powerEXT Core, a CGIDEV2
SBCS hybrid where a new middleware will have full Unicode,SBCS and DBCS
support.

My problem is that neither SBCS or DBCS "original" has that support in DB2
fields - unless I have overseen something.