William started with a very simple problem that somebody F***** up to
nearly a total rewrite
of the system - when this is said - this tread is not about Williams
problem anymore - his
customer has both rejected trigger and journalling!

Journaling is a general purpose way to catch uspecific changes to a row in
a table, there
is no way you can build in BL or intelligent design in journaling - it is a
matter of fact!

In triggers you can do what ever you want because it is just a program
(where there can be
300 at each file) where som code are executed when a row in the table are
changed.

In other words - if you want to build a function that on the fly sends a
manager an e-mail
that user XXX has changed the credit limit on a customer - you can do it in
a trigger, it cant
be done in journaling without a repeately constant batch process that
analyzes the journal!

Let me give you another example - you want to monitor changes on customers,
the credit
limit on the master customer table and the changes made on due dates in the
same
customers transactions - you are not interested in changes made in
zip-codes in the
master file or changes made due to normal batch processes in the
transaction file.

There is no way you can do this with journaling without lots of processing
of general
journals that has recorded changes you really arn't interested in.

In triggers you can record changes on field level on specific fields and
you can merge
the information together on the customer number level without any hardcoded
relations
between the tables.

Journaling sucks if you want to make a real time grouped management view of
changes of vital data in the tables because journales with overflow you and
your
programs with useless information.