Thanks for the plethora of info John.

The template they gave me had 40 rows or so of test data in it.
I opened it up in excel and deleted the data rows and saved that
for my template (after noting the structure of the <row></row> tags.

I got it to populate using cgidev2. The first try gave me an
error, I found the error log and it said that the parent <Table> element
had an expandedRowCount attribute that had to match the total rows
in my worksheet (something to that effect), so I put a placeholder there
and using cgidev2, and populated it correctly and it opened fine in excel.

John

Anyway, you said they gave you a template. I don't know if this means you don't have
to generate from scratch, but rather just find and populate slots in the template; or
if by "template" you meant more like "example" to just give you an idea, and you still
have to generate from scratch.