Scott, Jon and Barbara and others,

As always on this forum a little feather may become a big issue. However,
it is a little important to understand why IBM doesn’t use {[]} in RPGLE
code and I think this issue has been covered now.

For JAVA and C programmers this isn’t normally an issue since most source
files are in ASCII and whatever codepage is used {[]} falls within
x’00-x’7F’ that is shared in all ASCII and even UTF-8. On IBM I the C
source files reside in EBCDIC files and there will be problems if the CCSID
of the system, the job, the source file and the tools you maintain your
source code with doesn’t correspond or does correct translations.

In Europe we have lived with these problems for years starting back when
thirds party printers was attached to System/3 and during the early days of
the PC and all these conversations has cost billions of USD to fix in form
of redevelopment of drives etc. for local character support. In US you may
not have regarded this as a big problem because (as Vernon stated earlier)
you lived quite happily without them since all files by default was in
CCSID 1252, 819 and 37 that all corresponds.

I can only come up with two solutions; one is as you stated to code source
in Unicode (probably a big change to the compiler) another is to make the
compiler source file CCSID aware by a parameter.

The compiler should then do a pre-loop through the source file and change
any special characters only within instructions to the expected EBCDIC hex
value (probably in CCSID 37).

select;

when constantChar = *on; // do nothing

when ccsIdAware = *off; // do nothing

when char = u’0042’; // handle floating ’$’ in code instruction

char = x’5B’;

when char = u’007D’; // handle floating ‘}’ in code instruction

char = x’D0’;

etc. etc. …

This can be done without affecting backward compatibility and solve the
problem with existing field names that may contain $# (that in Danish must
be manually converted to ÅØ) and open up for floating single character
instructions like {[]} while still defining/passing constants unchanged in
the local CCSID.

If $myfield = ‘$’; // (in Danish)

Will pass the first $ as x’5B’ and the second $ constant as x’67’ instead
of now where we have to change the RPGLE CCSID 277 source code to

If ÅmyField = ‘$’;

That will pass the Å as x’5B’ and the $ as x’67’.

And exactly the same can be done for the C compiler because it probably
does it already!

I don’t think that the ‘??<’ and ‘??>’ syntax is implemented all over in
the base C compiler code. It is probably and more likely implemented as a
pre-compiler step replacing the syntax with a SBCS binary value the
compiler recognize.

And if a C IBM I workaround implemented as (*A)

if (my condition) ??<

some code

??> else

??<

other code

??>

Can be converted to the C compiler as (*B)

if (my condition) {

some code

} else {

other code

}

It shouldn’t be hard to convert the same in RPGLE to (*C)

if (my condition);

some code

else;

other code

endif;

Since it is possible to convert from *A to *B, it is of course also
possible to convert from *A to *C or *B to *C and if the purpose of making
RPGLE as close to common programming standards why not use *B as the common
way and let rather simple string handling technology in the compiler do the
job?

If the purpose with the syntax changes to RPGLE is to attract JAVA and C
programmers why not make the syntax changes as close to what they already
know and feel comfortable with? Technology changes at the speed of light,
but people’s general stubbornness to follow new path doesn’t change
overnight – that goes not only for old timers but also for young people
fresh from university (it is general human behavior) – we off all in the
RPG community should now that!

{[]} is character components that are basic syntax in all ASCII based
programming languages; it is also vital components in JSON that eventually
IMO will supersede XML in many areas over the coming years. Hanging into
not supporting these characters in code is like hanging into SNA as a
communication platform.

RPGLE will in a common market sense never become a superior main stream
language, but it could coexist with the myriad of other technologies that
today exists (ruby with nails etc. (Danish joke))– “refreshers” has however
to come up to speed in applying “common programming practice” and not dwell
with the shortcomings or other barriers the EBCDIC platform presents.

Where there is a will – there is a way!