Hello,

(Not sure why I'm getting involved in this silly thread, but...)

So if IBM can do braces in C on the i, why (as a technical issue,
setting aside whether it's a good idea) couldn't they do braces in
RPG?

Maybe IBM is just learning from their mistakes? I work in C/C++ often, and believe me, the braces have caused quite a lot of problems for C/C++ programmers.

IBM even implemented trigraphs to work around the mess that braces (and also brackets, and a few other things) cause. Instead of { you can type ??< (??< is a 'trigraph' for {). Likewise ??< for the } brace, ??( for [, and ??) for ].

The result is code that looks like this:

if (my condition) ??<
some code
??> else
??<
other code
??>

It's really ugly and hard to work with. A real headache, but doesn't have the technical issues that the { and } characters have.

For Java, of course, this is a non-issue because Java is coded in Unicode, which doesn't have these problems. I suppose the RPG compiler could be rewritten to handle all of it's source code as Unicode, and then we'd be set... But that would break lots of compatibility.

Plus, of course, this is all water-under-the-bridge, now. So I don't understand why this conversation is raging like a hot topic.