On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The C language definition (having an ASCII heritage)
uses { and } and there is no problem world-wide because
as Henrik says - the code point is always the same in ASCII.

But Blake's point is that C *does* live in the native i environment.
Complete with source members in QSYS.LIB files, SEU support, the whole
9 yards. No matter what its heritage, it is a full-fledged i
programming language today, and has been for quite a number of years.

So if IBM can do braces in C on the i, why (as a technical issue,
setting aside whether it's a good idea) couldn't they do braces in
RPG?

Subsequently the addition of C and subsequently C++ and Java
to IBM's arsenal caused problems with these characters. But it
was too late to change EBCDIC so people have to work round
the problems.

I wouldn't lump Java in with C and C++ here, because Java source
typically lives in IFS stream files, outside of QSYS.LIB.

The fact is, if EBCDIC can be "worked around" with C and C++, there is
no technical reason they couldn't be worked around with RPG.

John