I didn't follow all the links Buck provided, but this one drew my attention:

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2. Figure out the best crypto method that will work in both Java and RPG.

This thread is someone working through the problem:
http://archive.iprodeveloper.com/forums/aft/87211

At least superficially, their problem is much like your problem.

One of the comments Scott has in that thread is

"The pure RPG version runs much, much faster than the combined
RPG/Java version. The pure RPG version also doesn't require Java to be
installed or the CLASSPATH to be set properly. However, the RPG/Java
combined version is definitely a lot less code, and much simpler code.
That's primarily due to the complexity of the IBM APIs you have to
call to use the pure RPG version."

Whenever I see people asking about something that isn't very natural
to code in RPG, I immediately think about whether something else can
be used instead (and possibly called from RPG, if needed). This is
definitely one of those things. If you are going to have one side
coded in Java, why not just code both sides in Java? The only
compelling reason, to me, why you wouldn't do so is that you don't
have Java on your i.

John