From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Barbara Morris
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:45 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Convert C Prototype to RPG

On 9/17/2013 6:44 PM, DeLong, Eric wrote:
Larry, even though C is asking for pointers, remember that RPG passes by reference automatically. The net effect is that you simply define these as very long character fields, and just pass the variable references normally. There's a guide (Written by Barbara Morris) that covers some of the quirks of converting C prototypes to RPG...

http://www.opensource400.org/callc.html

Don't use that one, it's way out of date. Use the one I list at the end
of this post.

D VprtXML PR EXTPROC('VprtXML')
D pConn * value
D pSession *
D pXmlBuf 65500a options(*varsize)
D pXmlResult 65500a options(*varsize)
D pResultSize 10I 0

I would use * VALUE OPTIONS(*STRING) for the pXmlBuf parameter, since
it's an input-only null-terminated string parameter. Larry, if you pass
pass a character string to that type of parameter, you don't have to
bother null-terminating it; the RPG compiler will handle the
null-termination.

Here's a much more up-to-date version of my "Converting C Prototypes to
RPG" document: https://ibm.biz/BdxQbC

(The long version of that URL is
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/We13116a562db_467e_bcd4_882013aec57a/page/Converting%20C%20Prototypes%20to%20RPG)