John -

Compile the program with CRTRPGPGM PGM(YOURPGM) with either OPTION(*SRCDBG) or OPTION(*LSTDBG).

Verify that the attribute of the production libraries is PROD and the test libraries is TEST.

Then
1) STRDBG PGM(YOURPGM) UPDPROD(*NO) OPMSRC(*YES),
2) Set a breakpoint on the statement where it updates/writes the record to the file, and
3) Call the program and check the file overrrides for the job at the breakpoint.

-sjl