Thanks again Barbara, I'll pass this along to the java guys and see what
they say.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Barbara Morris <bmorris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 8/28/2013 9:45 AM, rick baird wrote:
I'm late to the party here and am tasked with writing only the RPG, but
i'm
trying to influence how we do this so that it's done the right way.
Maybe
my was isn't right, but I'm not sure the way they're doing it is right
either. They want me to write a program that receives a program name and
environment and passes back the library it's found in. To me that seems
like a hammer in search of a nail.

My idea was to create a command that can be run at each site after
installation or modification to set the library list to the specified
environment, look for the programs in the liblist and generate the PCML
so
the java knows where to look.

I'm open to other suggestions.

I see. As a one-time installation thing, I guess generating new PCML
makes sense.

... pondering ... rather than generating new PCML for each of the
programs, you could just generate a file that the Java code could read
to get the paths for the programs. Then the Java code could call
setPath() set the path using that information.

You could generate it as a properties file, to make it easy for the Java
folks to get the information.

Here's my test properties file, proptest.txt:

PGM1=/QSYS.LIB/LIB1.LIB/PGM1.PGM
PROGRAM2=/QSYS.LIB/LIBRARY2.LIB/PROGRAM2.PGM

Below is a little Java program that retrieves the path for the program
name that I pass in.

Here's how I call it:

JAVA CLASS(TestJavaProperties) PARM(proptest.txt PROGRAM2)
CLASSPATH('/home/bmorris/')

It prints "path is /QSYS.LIB/LIBRARY2.LIB/PROGRAM2.PGM"

import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;
class TestJavaProperties
{
static public void main(String args[])
{
String propfile = args[0];
String pgmname = args[1];

try
{
properties.load(new FileInputStream(propfile));
String path = properties.getProperty (pgmname);
System.out.println ("path is " + path);
}
catch (IOException e)
{
System.out.println ("Error opening file: " + e);
}
}
}

--