Second one, using perl on pase :
The Young i Professionals Wiki has a page of Open Source Binaries. In the list is the PCRE Library (Perl Compatible Regular Expressions).

This doesn't use Perl at all. It's written in C. PCRE refers to the
fact the the regular expression language implemented by this library
is meant to mimic Perl's regular expression language.

There isn't just a single regular expression language. For example,
some regex languages support \d for digit. Others do not, and you
must use [0-9] instead. Some have more powerful grouping and
lookahead features than others. Some let you choose whether to match
greedily or not. Perl's regex language happens to be a popular one to
emulate because it's considered full-featured, and Unix/Linux folks
will usually be quite used to Perl's conventions.

John