You can report this to IBM as a bug if you like.... IBM should not have broken compatility w/V7R1.

But, I know that they changed the way stuff works with 6.1 to optimize many things... So now that you've made me curious, I took a quick look at the docs, and I see the following note:

Note: If not using the optimum space alignment, the user space
has a maximum size of 16MB minus 512 bytes (16,776,704 bytes).
If optimum alignment is specified, the maximum size of the
user space is 16MB minus one disk page (current page size is 4096
bytes, giving a maximum space size of 16,773,120 bytes).

This is from the following page:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/apis/quscrtus.htm

Elsewhere on that page, you'll see that there is a parameter where you can specify whether you want to have (or not have) optimum alignment. It is an optional parameter that you are not passing.

According to the docs, if that parameter is not passed on V5R4, the default is 0 (non-optimum alignment). On V6R1, it's 1 (optimum alignment).

Obviously, this means that if you do not pass the parameter, it'll run faster on 6.1, but the maximum size will be 4096 bytes smaller.

Personally, if I truly need a large size, I'd use teraspace (as I said before), this allows for a MUCH larger size, so would be great.

But, if 16773120 will work, you might just use that. I can't imagine the 4k matters too much to you, does it?