From: Scott Klement [mailto:rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 4:25 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Cc: tegger@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: http_url_post_xml and REST

Hello Jay,

You say this isn't a big deal, but to me, it's huge. If I don't know how you are SUPPOSED to send the data, I can't tell you how to code the same thing in HTTPAPI.

The manual for CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS says that if you pass an array, it'll use a multipart/form-data encoding. I found that, here:
http://php.net/manual/en/function.curl-setopt.php

That's the critical piece of information that we didn't have before...

HTTPAPI has a multipart/form-data encoder as well, but it works differently because this technique is often used to upload files, and RPG's strings (at least, at the time I wrote this support) are too small to work nicely with file uploads. So what you do is use the encoder to build a temporary file in the IFS, and then you can upload that file.

This is off the top of my head, I don't have time to actually code it up and test it right now, but hopefully will get you going in the right direction.

http_tempfile() returns a temporary (unique) filename in the IFS.

http_mfd_encoder_open() lets you build a multipart/form-data encoded document in any IFS filename. We'll use the temporary one we generate with http_tempfile() for this.

http_mfd_encoder_addvar_s() can be used to add small strings to the encoded data. http_mfd_encoder_addvar() can be used (with pointer
support) to add larger strings.

http_mfd_encoder_addstmf() can be used to add a document from the IFS (i.e. your XML document).

http_mfd_encoder_close() frees up temporary memory that was used during the encoding process. So you'd do something like this:

// get temporary file name
filetopost = http_tempfile();

// create multipart/form-data encoder
// in temporary IFS file